Senators outplay and outscore Bruins

Yesterday the Bruins were outplayed by the Ottawa Senators and lossed to them with the score 3-0. Besides the score, there were a few big hits which caused some tension between the two teams. In the second period, Senators' Christoph Schubert hit Bruins' Paul Mara from behind into the boards. Mara then got up, went after Schubert, dropped the gloves and pounded Schubert as he turtled down to the ice. Schubert only received a 5-minute major for boarding. Mara got 2-minute minor for instigating, 5-minute major for fighting, and a 10-minute misconduct. Later in the period Bruins' Andrew Alberts layed out Senators' Chris Kelly with a huge hit behind the goalie net and Alberts got 5-minute major for boarding, and a 10-minute game misconduct. Why did Alberts get thrown out of the game while Schubert did not? Was it because Kelly stayed down on the ice, which seemed like forever, and finally got up with a small cut on his eyebrow? Kelly returned to the game in the third period so he wasn't seriously hurt. A few quotes from Bruins (source: BostonHerald.com):

"I don't think (Alberts) should have been thrown out of the game by any means," said B's coach Dave Lewis. "The one that bothered me was when (Schubert) cross-checked Paul Mara from behind into the boards. I thought that was a lot more severe than Alberts' hit."

"Alberts' hit was borderline. I think Schubert's hit was worse, though I haven't seen the video yet. But that's the way things have been going for us," said Mara.

"I think if Kelly doesn't stay down and pretend that he's injured, I don’t think he's getting five minutes and getting tossed. He might get two minutes for roughing or something. It was a borderline call."

"I knew it was a dirty hit and I just decided to do what a player has to do out there," said Mara.

"If it happened again, I'd probably do the same thing. If he had hit one of my teammates like that, I'd probably jump in. It's part of the game - and we killed the penalty off," said Mara.

It's now the NHL All-Star break and the Bruins will be back in action on Saturday at the Ottawa Senators.

Comments