Bruins-Canes bad blood

Well if there was a question about bad blood between these two teams, now we all know that there is some bad blood. It started in game 5 on Sunday with a few incidents. First there was Jussi Jokinen using his stick, as most Europeans do instead of their fists, to slash at Zdeno Chara's ankle which sent the Bruins captain down to the ice in pain. After the game Jokinen basically said that Chara was faking it. Well that was the first time I've seen Chara go down like that and guys are always taking shots at him to get him off his game. Then there was the sucker punch I'm sure everyone has seen by now, by Scott Walker on Aaron Ward.

So Scott Walker was not suspended for his sucker punch and here are responses by members of both teams/organizations.

Quotes from Aaron Ward:
"If you see the video, I didn't see him, I didn't talk to him, my hands were by side," said Ward at the Bruins' morning skate before tonight's Game 6 at RBC Center. "It was the usual scrum (with Carolina's Matt Cullen), gloves on, you take a punch, no big deal, it's three minutes left in the game, nothing's going to happen."

"Out of convenience, (Carolina) went to another story and I obviously feel it's a convenient story that the NHL accepted. And I think if you as the media accept that, you're a bunch of sheep. It's a convenient excuse and in the moment it allows people to get off scott-free and not have to deal with it."

"It's a joke. It's honestly a joke."

Asked directly about the ruling, Ward said, "I don't feel like getting a bigger fine than Scott Walker did for voicing my personal opinion. They showed me based on their decision that I don't matter, so to voice my opinion now isn't worth it."
Source

Quotes from Scott Walker:
"I went over there, pushed him and I thought he punched me and I dropped my gloves and swung," said Walker this morning. "You never want to see anyone get hurt or go down like that and for that I'm sorry. But I've been on the other end, where you think nothing's happening and you get punched. So I think you have to defend yourself."

"But it's not something I'm proud of, that's for sure."

"I think it's tough watching that game," said Walker. "If you watched Tim Conboy's fight with (Shawn) Thornton, if you watch it closely, (Conboy) didn't have his gloves off halfway through the fight, but he was still doing the job of protecting himself. He knew there was a fight going on. I guess I feel the same way."
Source

Aaron Ward will play tonight. Doctors said he should wear a visor, but he doesn't want to.

"I haven't worn one in 16 years and I'm not going to start now," said Ward.

Comments