Bruins sign Bergeron to 3-year extension

It's official now. The Bruins have re-signed Patrice Bergeron to a 3-year extension worth $15 million. It's good to hear he wanted to stay in Boston as lots of Bruins fans want him to stay a Bruin forever.

"I knew it was going to get done," he said. "I was the one who was going to say yes, and I wanted to stay in Boston. I just feel comfortable in Boston. When I was injured (with his severe concussion two years ago), for the Bruins it was about the human being more than the hockey player. That was pretty special for me."

Coach Claude Julien raved about Bergeron. "He's very professional about his job," said Julien. "We're talkiing about conditioning, we're talking about coming to the rink every day with the right attitude and a purpose. He never has a bad practice. He always wants to be the best guy out there. His professionalism and enthusiasm for the game rub off on a lot of people."
Source

Next up for the Bruins to re-sign is captain Zdeno Chara. There was word a week or so ago that Chara was looking for one of those crazy long-term contracts that would keep him in Boston in his 40s. With the whole Kovalchuk mess I would think those contracts would stop so we'll see what happens with Chara.

The Bruins play game 1 of 82 tomorrow vs the Phoenix Coyotes in Prague, at 12pm EST on Versus.

Comments