Bruins sign Rich Peverley to 3-year extension

Today the Bruins announced that they have re-signed forward Rich Peverley to a 3-year contract extension through the 2014-15 NHL season.

Bruins GM Peter Chiarelli on Peverley and the contract extension:

"Maybe we waited a little bit longer in signing some guys who are potential UFAs, but he's got speed, a good shot and he's still relatively young in the grander schemes. He's just a guy we wanted to have in our mix for the next four years.

Sometimes there's a fine line between the top six or seven or eight. We always felt he was in that mix before we got him. We liked the way he fit into our group. It doesn't necessarily mean he'll be in that top six for the rest of the year, but I like to think of our top three lines as three equal lines.

But I like his speed and I like his grit for his skill package, I like the way his speed backs up the D and I think he's made us a faster team.''
Source

Update: Ty Anderson over at HockeyBuzz is saying that a no-trade clause was included with this contract extension. I don't know how I feel about that. I can see giving one to Bergeron and Chara but hopefully Peverley continues to impress.

Comments