Adam McQuaid special feature on The Hockey News

The Hockey News has a special feature on Bruins defenseman Adam McQuaid, "Before I Made It: Adam McQuaid" that is a good read to learn a little more about the young tough Bruins defenseman.

I got into hockey because my parents wanted to get me into something so that I could be more social. I was a bit of a shy kid so they just wanted me to play a team sport and socialize with other kids my age. My parents were awesome. They were always encouraging and never gave me any advice really - probably mainly because they were just fans of the game, but never really played too much themselves. So it wasn’t like they were ever critiquing me, they were more just there for support.

...

I watched a lot of hockey as a kid and when I was really young my favorite player was Patrick Roy. Around the time he got traded to Colorado I kind of jumped ship and became a fan of Felix Potvin and Doug Gilmour. I'm not sure why, but I kind of gravitated toward goalies.

...

I was in the American League for two-and-a-half years and I really think the trade to Boston helped me. They really worked with me and there were a lot of areas I had to improve on, including my skating and puck skills, and they were willing to give me an opportunity. That's all you can really ask for.
Source: The Hockey News (link above)

Comments