Bruins sign Lucic to 3-year extension

Milan Lucic celebrating a goal
Boston Bruins left wing Milan Lucic celebrates his goal as Ottawa Senators left wing Milan Michalek (9), of the Czech Republic, watches in the second period of an NHL hockey game in Boston, Tuesday, Jan. 31, 2012. The Bruins won 4-3. (AP Photo/Elise Amendola)
Bruins GM Peter Chiarelli continues to be busy locking up his young stars before the inevitable lockout by signing forward Milan Lucic to a 3-year contract extension. Lucic will get paid an average of $6 per season during the three seasons, making him the highest paid forward on the team, and second highest on the team behind Zdeno Chara.

Lucic, a 6'4", 220-pound native of Vancouver, B.C., has skated in 359 games with the Bruins over the course of five seasons from 2007-12, recording 90-122=212 totals with 525 penalty minutes and a plus-43 rating.

During the 2011-12 season, the forward skated in 81 games, registering an NHL career-high in assists with 35, and notching 26 goals for 61 total points, just one shy of his highest NHL career points total. He hit the 20-goal mark for the second straight season and was the first of six NHL players to reach both 20 goals and 100 penalty minutes on the season.
Source

Some quotes from Milan Lucic:
"Being a competitor and a player here in the NHL, you always want to push yourself to get better every year," said Lucic when asked what he would like to improve in the coming seasons. "I think the last two years I think I’ve set a much higher standard for myself and, as a competitor you want to keep pushing that standard.

"There’s obviously a lot of sacrifices and a lot of responsibilities that have to be made on and off the ice, and those are things that I have to take upon myself to work on and do my best to get better at.

"I’m definitely more than willing to do that," added Milan. "It’s on me to live up to my expectations.

"It’s up to me to push the bar for myself."

...

"As a team we always look at no matter what the opponent is, is we want to win the hockey game," said Lucic, who added, "We’re not too worried about the fights."
Source

Comments