Salary cap news and free agents

The NHL salary cap for next season will be $50.3 million. Last season the salary cap was at $44 million. Each team must spend at least $34.3 million. Douglas Flynn on his blog on BostonHerald.com says that the Bruins have "roughly $41 million committed" which leaves some room ($9.3 million) for GM Peter Chiarelli to sign a few players.

While some players have already re-signed with their teams, looking at the unrestricted free agent list on ESPN.com, here are some players I would like the Bruins to think about signing:

-Shawn Thornton, RW, played 48 games last season for the Stanley Cup champion Anaheim Ducks, scored 2 goals with 88 PIMs, and he played in the playoffs. My thoughts: he showed that he could be trusted in the playoffs, play physical and stand up for teammates. The Bruins definitely need a player like Thornton, especially if they lose Jeremy Reich to another team.

-Scott Walker, RW, played 81 games last season for the Carolina Hurricanes, and scored 21 goals. My thoughts: he has always been one of my favorites and if you remember him playing against the Bruins this past season and taking on Andrew Alberts then you know why any team would like to have him. I think the Hurricanes might have recently re-signed him but if the Bruins would have any chance of signing Walker, get him now!

-Denis Arkhipov, Center, played 79 games last season for the bad Chicago Blackhawks, and scored 10 goals. My thoughts: he's 28 years old and I think hasn't played on a top line. I think if he played with better players I think he could put up better numbers. Or being 28, this may just be what he is, an average player.

-Raitis Ivanans, LW, played 66 games last season for the Los Angeles Kings, and scored 4 goals. My thoughts: he's not known for scoring but for his punch. He's a true enforcer with his size (6-3, 263 lbs.) and the Bruins need a player like Ivanans.

-Sheldon Brookbank, defenseman, played in only 3 games last season for the Nashville Predators. My thoughts: he's a young defenseman with a lot of potential as he was an AHL All-Star last year but I have a feeling that the Predators will lock him up. He seems to have some offensive touch, but he's known for his physical play and dropping the gloves as his brother, former Bruin Wade Brookbank.

-Tom Preissing, defenseman, played in 80 games last season for the Ottawa Senators. My thoughts: he had a good year with the Senators last season but I have a feeling that the Senators will re-sign Preissing. He would be a good pickup though.

-Scott Hannan, defenseman, played in 79 games last season for the San Jose Sharks. My thoughts: I think the Sharks will re-sign him and he'll probably want a big contract. But he is a solid defenseman that the Bruins would love to have. Hannan is an offensive style defenseman but also is solid defensively.

-Cory Sarich, defenseman, played in 82 games last season for the Tampa Bay Lightning. My thoughts: I also think that the Lightning will re-sign Sarich because he is a big part of their defense. Sarich is a physical defenseman that the Bruins need.

Of course I would like the Bruins to sign a player like Chris Drury, or Daniel Briere, or Scott Gomez but I think that is a slim possibility because of the salary cap. Plus I don't think any of those three players would want to sign with Boston, they all probably want to go to a winning team and not one that is trying to rebuild.

Comments